Yesterday, the Jee Labs energy monitoring system stopped working:
A few hours went by before I found out, because I’m not constantly checking these graphs nowadays.
Couldn’t figure out why, so I reset the sending node next to the electricty/gas meters, and shrugged it off as a fluke because it all started working again.
A few hours later, after dinner, we find out that there’s water dripping down right next to that JeeNode, but more importantly the whole meter closet is soaking wet in some places. Whoops… not good!
Turns out that there was a leak in the kitchen drain right above that meter closet. Fortunately, the problem was easy to identify. And didn’t lead to fireworks.
That was around 8 PM. Only this time the JeeNode is also soaking wet – free-hanging constructions are not such a good idea after all, I guess. Unplug. Wipe off the water. Let it dry for a few hours. Plug it back in.
OK, the energy monitoring setup is working again. Tomorrow, I’ll fix the drain pipe – properly.
The drawback of tinkering is that you always blame your own stuff when there is a failure. But in this case, it was trying to tell me about a problem coming from elsewhere…