The multi-ISP programmer I built and started using some two weeks ago, turned out to be quite a nightmare. Not only were incorrectly programmed ATmegas sent out to about two dozen people, I also had to go through about 70 kits, prepared as new stock just days after I started using this programmer. Twice!
Yes, twice. Because the first “fix” turned out to be insufficient. Doh.
This was a clear case of one bug hiding another, and another, and another. Yep, four bugs: a bug in the MemoryStream class in the Ports library, a timing problem exposed by fixing that bug, and two incorrect assumptions about how the “avrdude” utility works. I’ve now got an explanation for everything that went wrong.
There’s no doubt some interesting psychology at work here … I was so proud of my idea op programming multiple ATmega’s! The main idea was to create an AVRISP-compatible unit which stores everything sent through it and then just replays the saved stream as often as needed. Trouble is, I jumped to conclusions the minute a first “run” worked. Roll the presses! Print it! Tell it to the world!
Anyway. There is a happy ending to all this!
The latest version of the isp_capture.pde sketch in the Ports library has been working properly for over a week now, programming well over a hundred ATmega’s (and it now does auto shut-down a few minutes after use):
The last bug was a very puzzling one: everything worked, but sometimes the fuses wouldn’t get programmed. It turns out that avrdude first reads the fuses, and only sends out commands to program them if the fuses don’t match the new value. Since the programmer needs to work with brand-new as well as previously-programmed chips, the replay mechanism would have depended on the prior state of the chips: not good.
The solution is very simple: I now always program each fuse twice, with two different (valid) values. The second one will remain in force, evidently. Since the replay code was already ignoring fuse mismatch checks, this now means that even if the first setting is skipped by avrdude, the second will always be emitted.
Here is the shell script to prepare the Flash Boards:
So this has now become a very useful tool at Jee Labs:
I love the on-board LiPo battery: I can grab it, use it where I need it, and put it back – no wires = freedom!
For pre-loading the fuses, boot loader, and RF12demo, it already saved me a huge amount of time. Its “burn rate” is up to 500 chips/hour. And Mr. Murphy taught me some valuable lessons along the way…
And now it’s time to move on!