It all starts with baby steps. Let me just say that it feels very awkward and humbling to stumble around in a new programming language without knowing how things should be done. Here’s the sort of gibberish I’m currently writing:
I’m posting this so that one day I can look back and laugh at all this clumsiness :)
The output appears in the browser, even though all this is running on the server:
Ok, so now there’s a “feed” with readings coming in. But that’s just the tip of the iceberg:
- What should the pubsub naming structure be, i.e. what are the keys / topic names?
- Should readings be managed per value (temperature), or per device (room node)?
- What format should this data have, since inserting a decimal point is locale-specific?
- How to manage new values, given that previous ones can be useful to have around?
- Are there easy choices to make w.r.t. how to store the history of all this data?
- How to aggregate values, but more importantly perhaps: when to do this?
And that’s just incoming data. There will also need to be rules for automation and outgoing control data. Not to mention configuration settings, admin front-ends, live development, per-user settings, access rights, etc, etc, etc.
If you have any suggestions on what I should be looking into, let me know!
“Experience is what you get while looking for something else.” – Federico Fellini